Crockpot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
3 lb's small red skinned potatoes
3 -5 cloves garlic minced
1 onion finally chopped (or several green onions/scallions- green parts chopped)
2 Tblspn olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water or chicken broth
1 cup (8 oz.) cream cheese with onion and chives softened (sometimes in a tub for spreading on bagels)
2 Tblspn butter
1/3 to 1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream (for richer flavor use cream)
- Halve or quarter potates (leave the skins on) so they are uniform in size.
- Place potatoes in crockpot.
- Add garlic, onion, salt, pepper and water (or chicken broth) and gently mix potatoes.
- Cover crockpot and cook on high 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. (maybe 2 1/2 hours is sufficient in the newer crockpots).
- Stir potatoes at the 1 1/2 hours mark to prevent browning or drying out.
- Add more water or broth if necessary.
- When potatoes are cooked through, smash the potatoes with a fork or potatoe masher.
- Add cream cheese and butter.
- Stir in milk or cream a little at a time, mixing after each addition till desired consistency.
- You can serve now or switch crockpot to warm and hold potatoes until ready to serve.
- Approx. 14 1/2 cups