It doesn't take but 5 minutes or so to make your own, and no more flimsy thin crusts !
This recipe makes enough for a 2 crust pie (such as apple) plus extra for an extra shell crust or for my kid's favorite: Cinnamon Sugar Pie Crust bites! (all depending on how thick you choose to roll your crusts.)
Grandma's Pie Crust
(Makes 3 crusts)
- 2 Cups Flour (plus extra for rolling it out)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 C. Shortening (ok she has Lard written down, so you know it's old!)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. vinegar
- In mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and shortening.
- Mix on low till crumbly.
- Add in water and vinegar and mix till blended and forms a ball
- If this is your first homemade pie crust and need a few extra steps, maybe these will help you out:
- Divide dough in half. Set one half aside.
- Roll the remaining half into a ball.
- Flatten the ball slightly with your hand or rolling pin.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out your pie crust to slightly larger than your pie pan.
- Fold dough in half
- Fold in half again.
- Place folded dough into a pie pan with point of dough in the center of pan.
- unfold dough till it covers and drapes over the sides of the pan.
- Press down gently on pie crust to fit snugly into bottom and up sides of pan.
- If baking as a single crust shell, prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork.
- Place filling into pie crust. (I am using one of my Freezer Pie Fillings)
- Roll out second half of pie dough as you did above.
- Fold in half
- Fold in half again.
- Cut off a tiny bit of the tip of the triangle of folded dough.(this will create a center "vent" hole for the top of the pie) (and yes I forgot to do this step! so I did it later on )
- Place tip of triangle over center of pie filling.
- un fold triangle of dough to cover pie filling.
- Trim off the excess pie crust from both crusts by running knife along the edge of the pie pan.
- gently press the top and bottom crust together along the edges of the pan.
- Crimp with fingers or the tines of a fork the edges together.
Embelish if desired.
Roll out the scraps of the pie dough and with a knife, free hand a leaf shape.
Gently place the leaves around the center vent hole of the top crust.
Bake pie according to pie filling recipe.
Mine was a thawed apple filling so baked it at 375° for about 45 minutes.