My family loves Red Beans & Rice. Although I did not grow up the south with anyone teaching me the traditional recipe, I have played around with a super quick version that my family loves. I have been playing around with di&fferent "Quick" versions and finally came up with two that my family say are keepers!
In the thin recipe I featured Kielbasa and in the thick version I used 3 Grilled Brat's left over from our Super Bowl party.
Quick Red Beans and Riceserves 4
- 2 (15 oz. ea) cans chili seasoned beans
- 1 lb. Kielbasa or smoked sausage
- 1 tsp. cajun seasoning (This is about med. in heat. use less for mild, more for spicier)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- For Thin Sauce: 2/3 cup water
Directions For Thin Sauce:
- Open both cans of beans. Drain only one can of beans, leaving the other can with all it's chili sauce.
- In medium sauce pan over medium heat combine both cans of beans, water and cajun seasoning.
- Dice Kielbasa.
- Add Kielbasa to saucepan and stir well to mix.
- Turn heat to simmer while cooking rice.
- Cook rice according to package directions.