Just a few minutes, a few ingredients and you have a warm soup waiting on the stove. I love to have this on the stove as an appetizer for when family or company is coming over for dinner on a chilly fall or winter evening or for a lunch with a slice of french bread.
Jan's Tip: This is the perfect use for that last little bit of rotisserie chicken you have left that isn't quite enough for anything else. just save 3/4-1 cup of diced chicken pieces for this soup.
Creamy Chicken Soup
Makes 8 cups
4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
6 cups chicken broth heated in a pan or bowl
3 egg yolks (discard the egg whites)
1 cup heavy cream
3/4- 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium -low heat.
- Add flour, whisking until smooth.
- cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- add 1 cup of the hot chicken broth, whisking vigorously to blend.
- Whisk in remaining broth.
- bring to a simmer stirring.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cream.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the hot broth into the egg mixture, whisking slowly.
- Pour egg mixture back into pan, whisking slowly.
- Heat soup slowly (do NOT boil), addin gmore broth if too thick.
- Add chicken and salt and heat thoroughly.
- Serve warm.
Welcome to the #SoupWeek, hosted by Palatable Pastime. This week is all about delicious and warming soups. Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on FaceBook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram using the hashtag #SoupWeek. We also have a #SoupWeek Pinterest Board where you can see all of the offerings in one easy to access spot! What a great way to stay warm in cold weather!
- Asian Diet Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Grandma's Copycat Kelly's Cheese Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Rotisserie Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder from The Frugal Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Delicata Squash Soup with Curried Chickpeas and Onions from Caroline's Cooking
- Vegetable Beef Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Maw-Maw's Chili Mac Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Italian Wedding Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cheat 'n' Eat Vietnamese Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Enchilada Verde Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Leftover Bean Salsa Chili from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Meatball Soup from Palatable Pastime
- K.C.'s Seafood Chowder from Cooking with Carlee
- Creamy Chicken Soup from The Frugal Pantry
- Kale and Squash Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm